Dr. Ronald Hess grew up with sports, from family sandlot games to lettering four years in NCAA football to competing in triathlons. Today, sports remain a significant part of his life with coaching football and lacrosse in the Cincinnati area. Dr. Hess is the team physician for Miami University and 22 Division 1 sports.
With a biology degree from Hobart College, Dr. Hess combined his education with his passion for sports by pursuing a master’s degree in exercise physiology. Yet that wasn’t enough. He earned a medical degree and completed six rigorous years of post-graduate training in orthopaedics, capped with a sports medicine fellowship with the Florida Orthopaedic Institute. There he gained invaluable experience working with professional athletes as a team physician for the Tampa Bay Lightning (hockey), Mutiny (soccer) and Storm (arena football).
“I know firsthand what the love of sports means to my patients. I understand the frustration of being sidelined and I want to get them back as quickly and effectively as possible. That’s true for patients of any age. My goal is to get them back to doing what they want.”
As an exercise physiologist and doctor of osteopathy, Dr. Hess approaches treatment and recovery holistically. “My training orients me to look at the body as a whole,” said Dr. Hess. “I treat the presenting injury, but I look beyond for the underlying cause.”
Dr. Hess sees patients at Union Centre and Oxford. He serves as the team orthopaedic surgeon for the Miami University Sports Medicine Program.
- St. Vincent/Riverside Hospitals, Toledo, Ohio
- Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville, Missouri
Doctor of Osteopathy
- Masters Exercise Physiology, New York Medical College
- Hobart College, Geneva, New York
Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Internship, Deaconess Medical Center, St. Louis, Missouri
- Residency, St. Vincent Hospital, Toledo, Ohio
- Fellowship in Orthopaedic Sports, Florida Orthopaedic Institute, Tampa Bay, Florida
- Trainer for Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Fellowship in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopaedics
- American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine
- American Osteopathic Association
- American College of Sports Medicine